The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) today decided to lift the more than three-year-old entry ban on Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan but decided not to challenge the BCCI-imposed life ban on tainted player Ankeet Chavan despite a Delhi Court dropping criminal charges against him.
Both the decisions were taken at a MCA meeting here with vice-president Ashish Shelar being the proposer. “Today, in the MCA meeting, it was decided that the ban imposed on IPL’s Kolkata franchise owner Shah Rukh Khan should be lifted. With the prior approval of our President Sharad Pawar, it was proposed to me that the ban on him be lifted and the managing committee approved it unanimously. Therefore, the ban on his entry in the Wankhede Stadium has been revoked,” Shelar told reporters after the meeting here.
The Bollywood superstar was banned for five years from entering MCA premises, including the Wankhede Stadium, by the Association’s Managing Committee, headed by the late Vilasrao Deshmukh, on May 18, 2012 after he was involved in an altercation with the security staff and officials of the cricket body following Kolkata Knight Riders’ victory over Mumbai Indians two nights earlier.
Khan, however, denied he had misbehaved and maintained that he reacted only after children, including his kids, were “manhandled” by the security staff at the stadium. “Action had been taken against him when required and we felt it was not good to take it any further. The whole managing committee consented on it. We felt it would not look good to bar somebody like this,” Shelar said.