Days after Mark Zuckerberg announced that Facebook would now activate Safety Check for “more human disasters” following backlash on social media against the ‘selective outrage’ of Facebook, the 31-year-old CEO announced that the ‘Safety Check’ has been activated in Nigeria where bombings on Tuesday killed over 30 people. Zuckerberg announced on Wednesday that the ‘Safety Check’ will be used for ‘more tragic events’ in the future. “We’re now working quickly to develop criteria for the new policy and determine when and how this service can be most useful,” he said in a Facebook post this morning.
Facebook had allowed the change of profile picture to support France and the people of Paris, after the terror attack in which 129 people were killed. The move resulted in criticism from users, who pointed out that Facebook hadn’t done the same for the Beirut bombings a day prior, which had killed dozens of people and injured over 200 others. We care about all people equally, and we will work hard to help people suffering in as many of these situations as we can,” Zuckerberg said, following the widespread criticism, adding that the Facebook Safety feature has been now updated.
Zuckerberg today said that since the events are all “too common”, so he won’t post about all of them. Interestingly, Facebook had announced hours earlier that they were partnering with Airtel Africa to bring free basic internet services to 17 African countries.